ICED EARTH guitarist and leader Jon Schaffer has been taken into custody in connection with the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol. Schaffer, who resides in Columbus, Indiana, turned himself in to authorities around 3 pm Sunday (January 17), Chris Bavender, public affairs specialist for the FBI Indianapolis Field Office, said.
The FBI Indianapolis Field Office issued the following statement regarding Schaffer‘s arrest: “Jon Schaffer, Columbus, IN, has been arrested in connection to Jan 6 incident at the U.S. Capitol. Schaffer faces 6 charges including engaging in an act of physical violence in a Capitol building. Schaffer was allegedly among rioters who sprayed Capitol police with ‘bear spray.'”
These are the six charges Schaffer is facing, according to the FBI Indianapolis Field Office:
1. Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority
2. Disrupting the Orderly Conduct of Government Business
3. Knowingly Engages in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds
4. Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building
5. Engage in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building
6. Parade, Demonstrate, or Picket in a Capitol Building
Schaffer was among the rioters who sprayed United States Capitol police officers with “bear spray,” a form of capsaicin pepper spray sold by many outdoors retailers, as part of their efforts to push the officers back inside the Capitol and breach the Capitol building themselves, according to FBI.