MACHINE HEAD’s ROBB FLYNN Recalls H*roin Overdose


MACHINE HEAD frontman Robb Flynn has recalled surviving a h*roin overdose, after a close friend died by the same drug. Below you can read an excerpt from the post.

Jack was no angel.

So it’s said. I spoke with his daughter yesterday and she gave me her blessing to speak about him in this honest a fashion. Since we had hired him, he’d had a long love-affair with Vicodin’s and pills. Hell, his humorous nick-name with the road crew was “Jackodin”. Unbeknownst to me at the time, he was getting packages of 300 or so “Vic’s” mailed out on the road, and keeping the rest of the crew hopped up on goofballs.

I did them with him from time to time, but they always acted like Speed with me. I couldn’t sleep on ’em, and as a singer, no sleep = no voice, so I laid off of them for the most part. And I was there when he started doing h*roin. I did my best to keep him sober-ish in the limited amount of time that I was home. He was falling apart. Self-medicating.

When his wife discovered h*roin needles, and threatened to divorce him, I sat him down at Red Robin burger joint in Concord, and I laid into him. I wasn’t judging him. Because I was no better than him. I just tried to get it into his drug-addled skull, my horrible experiences with it. Because I had done h*roin at least 10 times. I tried to share with him where it had gotten me.

I’d snorted china white, snorted tar, shot it a few times. Thankfully, I just never enjoyed the high. The whole puking-every-15-minutes-thing was a MAJOR bummer. I never got past that… and man, looking back… I’m so glad I never got past it.

The night that we signed the contract with Roadrunner Records on Oct 10th 1993, a buddy and I decided to go do some h*roin at his dealers to ‘celebrate’ after a long night of drinking at The Omni in Oakland.

They shot me up (I could never do it), and I OD-ed. I woke up 6 hours later on a filthy bathroom floor in a puddle of vomit, feeling like death.

And at a h*roin dealers house they weren’t about to call an ambulances to save me. They just hoped I was alive.”

You can read the entire post at MACHINE HEAD‘s Facebook page.