According to The Pulse Of Radio, Wednesday night’s (April 23) Revolver Golden Gods awards, which featured performances from GUNS N’ ROSES, Joan Jett, THE PRETTY RECKLESS and others, was frequently chaotic and featured a number of outright flubs. Viewers watching online and attendees at the event, which took place at Club Nokia in downtown Los Angeles, witnessed long gaps between band introductions and the performances themselves, with Jett even asking “Did I do something wrong?” at one point in the run-up to her spot. Jett also had to re-do her performance of “I Hate Myself For Loving You” when THE PRETTY RECKLESS singer Taylor Momsen blew her lines.
There were also several awards given out that were deemed questionable, with DEEP PURPLE‘s win over BLACK SABBATH in the “Comeback Of The Year” category such a shocker than even presenter Scott Ian was visibly disappointed in the result. FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH singer Ivan Moody later voiced his own displeasure.
Perhaps the most cringeworthy moment of the evening was during a tribute to heavy rock and metal stars who had died within the last few years, when late WARRANT singer Jani Lane was identified as a member of MOTÖRHEAD.
The four-hour event began with a surprise performance from SLAYER, who delighted fans by premiering a new song.
A contributing factor to the length of the show was the long, silent gaps as the production crew scrambled to prepare the stage for the next performer, killing the show’s momentum.
Audience members began to filter out during the long wait for GUNS N’ ROSES — again due to production issues, and not the band for once — but those who stayed saw the band perform for nearly an hour, with ex-bassist Duff McKagan appearing with them on a U.S. stage for the first time in 20 years. Axl Rose‘s vocals, however, were noticeably lackluster.
The notoriously volatile Rose‘s acceptance speech for his Lifetime Achievement Award was short but humble, and included gracious shout-outs to previous lineups of the band.
VH1 Classic streamed the show live and will also air an edited version on Saturday, May 24 at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT.
Revolver Golden Gods list of winners:
* Best Vocalist: Josh Homme of QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE
* Best Live Band: Rob Zombie
* Most Devoted Fans: AVENGED SEVENFOLD
* Best New Talent: TWELVE FOOT NINJA
* Comeback Of The Year: DEEP PURPLE
* Paul Gray Best Bassist Award: Chris Kael of FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH
* Best Film & DVD: PIERCE THE VEIL
* Best Drummer: Arin Ilejay of AVENGED SEVENFOLD
* Song Of The Year: FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH‘s “Lift Me Up”
* Most Metal Athlete: Josh Barnett, Mixed Martial Arts
* Dimebag Darrell Best Guitarist: Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance of AVENGED SEVENFOLD
* Album Of The Year: BLACK SABBATH‘s “13”
* Golden God Award: Joan Jett
* Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award: Axl Rose of GUNS N’ ROSES